Question: I am a female PhD student and I will be in Tehran next January to attend a two-months Persian Language Course at ICPS.
- I would like to stay in a dormitory or in a host-family around ICPS or University of Tehran, but their websites are not very clear about availibity and costs. What you suggest me to do?
- Secondly, it will be safe for me to go around the city of Tehran alone? I could use the system of transportation without problems?
- Thirdly, I would like to catch the opportunity meanwhile to visit other cities in Iran, but I don't think it's a good idea to go around alone... Do you know if someone are arranging this kind of trip during the weekends?
Answer: 1. ICPS Institution surely has dormitories available for its students which I think costs something about US$25 per night. It is better to get in touch with them directly through the below gates:
E_mail : ICPS@ut.ac.ir
Tel : +98 (0)21 22717120 , 22711902
Fax : +98 (0)21 22717118 , 22711700
Address: Loghatnameh Dehkhoda & International Center for Persian Studies Vali-e-Asr Ave., Pesyan Bus Stop, Shemiran, Tehran Iran
Furnished rooms, suites and houses are also available which can be rented in the case you prefer not to lodge in a dorm; it is of course more expensive and needs a bit time to find one. Real estate agencies can help you better in his regard.
2. Being the capital of Iran, Tehran is a crowded city with a great number of people rushing everywhere but still they are helpful. People are helpful and civilized and so keen to the tourists. Yellow taxis, public buses and metros can be used to commute fast and cheap and of course safe. Plenty of solo travelers both men and women enter Iran each day and travel in the country hassle-free.
3. Weekend tours from Tehran are offered in the Tehran based agencies, you can also book those through http://www.uppersia.com/Iran-tours. Those tours usually are to some destinations near Tehran such as the northern areas, Abyaneh, Kashan and Ghamsar especially in April for the rose distillation ceremony.