Ingredients: (4 servings)
- 750 grams boneless stewing lamb or beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup of cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried limes (or fresh lime juice)
- 3/4 cup black-eye beans or kidney beans
- 1 large potato, diced (optional)
- black pepper
- 1 cup spring onions, finely chopped
- 1.5 cups spinach, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup tareh (garlic chives), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup shanbelileh (fenugreek), finely chopped (optional)
Trim meat and cut into 2 cm (3/4 inch) cubes. Fry onion over medium heat in half of the oil until golden. Add turmeric and fry for 2 more minutes.
Increase heat, add meat cubes and stir over high heat until meat changes color and begins to turn brown. Reduce heat.
Add water, black-eye or kidney beans, salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer gently for 1-1.5 hours hours until meat is tender. Time depends on type of meat used.
Fry potatoes over high heat in the remaining oil until lightly browned. Add to sauce, leaving oil in the pan. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add prepared vegetables to frying pan and fry over medium heat until wilted. Add to sauce, then add dried limes (or lime juice), cover and simmer for further 10-15 minutes. Adjust seasoning and serve with white rice. An exquisite Iranian dish.