Question: Planning to go to Tehran in April with friends for only few days. Planning to buy simple gifts to friends and families from Tehran like scarf or other things. Read that Tehran grand Baazar is good. Planning to stay at Esteghlal Hotel. Any good place or shops to buy things nearby?
Answer: There are some shops inside Esteghlal hotel but are very expensive. You can find some good shopping centers not too far from the Esteghlal hotel.
For buying handicrafts or traditional design souvenirs the Villa (Nejatollahi) street is the main center but it is far from your hotel. Instead in Vali-e Asr Avenue in front of Mellat Park are two very good shops for handicrafts.
- one is "Dustoe": http://dustoe.com where you will find a variety of handicrafts at the reasonable rates comparing to Villa shops.
- Another one is located inside Safavieh Shopping centre which is a little far from Dustoe to the north.
- Other option is Tajrish Bazaar which is a small bazaar near Esteghlal hotel in Vali-e Asr Avenue.
- Mellat Tower is also located in the south of Dustoe where you can purchase carpets and general things.
- Tehran Grand Bazar is a must-see considering the special atmosphere it offers far from Esteghlal hotel but near Golestan Palace. There is no metro station near Esteghlal, but you can both use taxi or bus to go to Bazar, or to nearest metro station, there is a bus station right in front of Dusto. The opening hour of Bazaar is to 11 pm and it is quite safe return back to hotel on that time.
Check the cheapest Iran tours at http://www.uppersia.com/Iran-tours