Ingredients (4 Servings)
- 4 large green or red peppers
- 250 grams ground lamb or beef
- 100 grams of long-grain rice
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- cooking oil
- 3-4 teaspoons of tomato paste
- black pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons of sugar
- 3-4 spoonfuls of fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup spring onions, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup garlic chives, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup tarragon, finely chopped (optional)
Fry onions in cooking oil over medium heat until golden. Add ground meat and fry further until meat changes color. Add 1/2 cup water, salt, pepper and most of tomato paste. Mix and cook further until water boils off.
Fry prepared vegetables in cooking oil over medium heat until wilted. Boil two cups of water in a small pot. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and rice and boil further until rice softens. Drain the water and let cool slightly.
Cut a circle at the top of the peppers and remove seeds. Boil 2 cups of water in a large pot. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and the peppers. They should be placed side by side (make sure not to stack them). Cook until they soften slightly. Take care not to overcook or they might fall apart later on. Drain the water and let cool.
Mix well prepared meat, vegetables, most of lime juice, most of sugar, and rice. Sprinkle some salt inside peppers, fill them with the mix and close the tops. Again place the peppers side by side (avoid stacking them) in a large pot. Prepare sauce by mixing 1/2 cup of hot water with the rest of sugar, lime juice and tomato paste. Pour the sauce in over the peppers and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Serve this wonderful dolmeh hot with the sauce.